This year’s competition took place from 23 to 25 August 2019 in Fenyang, China. The event issues three types of awards: Grand Gold Medals, Gold Medals and Silver Medals. Once again, the competition has proven to be a barometer of the latest trends in the spirits arena. Read on for an overview of the results.
At the end of the competition, the Grand Gold Medals are tasted a second time by all the panel chairs, who deliberate in order to award ‘Spirits Selection Revelation’ trophies to innovative products that meet current consumer demand, making them particularly representative of present-day trends. Nine products were selected for their unquestionable quality:
- ArmagnacPure Folle Blanche 12 ans Bas Armagnac, by Domaine Tariquet
- Peruvian pisco La Botija Puro Quebranta Borde, by Bodegas y Viñedos Tabernero S.a.c
- Cognac Deau Napoleon Cigar Blend, by Distillerie des Moisans
- Martinique agricultural rum HSE Extra Vieux Single Malt Finish Highland 44%
- Serbian apricot brandyHubertova Rakija Kajsija, by Wine and Spirits Consulting Ltd.
- Scotch whisky Finlaggan Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky Cask Strength, by The Vintage Malt Whisky Company
- BaijiuNiulanshan Erguotou Baijiu Aroma Long Lasting 53%, by Beijing Shunxin Agriculture Co. Ltd.
- BaijiuGolden Stone Fellowship 50.8%, byJinshitan Liquor Group Co. Ltd.
- And BaijiuBaofeng Wine – National Color Fragrance – Chentan 35 50%, by Baofeng Wine Co. Ltd.
As is customary, special attention is also paid to organic spirits. Among organically certified Grand Gold medal winners, and for the second consecutive year, the Organic Revelation trophy was awarded to a Brazilian cachaça that caught the experts’ attention: the Pai Vovô Ouro cachaça by Fazenda Fazenda Aliança Ind de Aguardente Ltda is produced in the state of Paraiba, in northeast Brazil. Created just two years ago, this newly-minted cachaça stems from a skilful blend of traditional production methods and state-of-the-art technology. The sugar cane is grown, harvested and fermented traditionally, but the distillery is equipped with high-end copper stills. The result is a delicate, elegant and balanced cachaça, with a floral nose showing aromas of tropical fruits, vanilla and caramel.